Entering Recovery Mode
While you system is starting up, hold down the Ctrl key or Esc to see the boot loader menu. After you see the menu:
- Use the arrows to select the boot entry you want to modify.
- Press e to edit the entry.
- Use the arrows to go to kernel line.
- Press a or e to append this entry.
- At the end of the line add the word single or the number 1.
- Press Enter to accept the changes.
- Press b to boot this kernel.
A series of text messages scrolls by and after a short time, a root prompt appears awaiting your commands (#).
As root, changing password does not ask for your old password. Run the command: